Are You Prepared for Winter Weather?
Although the winter season doesn’t officially start until late December, cold and rainy weather is affecting large portions of our state. Make sure your family, home and car are ready for severe winter conditions by staying tuned to local weather and following these steps:
- Make sure your home is well insulated and that you have weather stripping around your doors and window sills to keep the warm air inside.
- Familiarize yourself with the terms that are used to identify winter weather.
- Include adequate clothing and blankets in your Ready kit to keep you warm.
- Allow faucets to drip a little during cold weather to avoid freezing.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to uninsulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
- Fully winterize your vehicle and keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.
- Keep an extra Ready kit in the trunk of your car. In addition to the basic essentials, consider adding an ice scraper, extra blanket, sand for traction and jumper cables.