*** The giveaway is now closed. Check back soon to see who won! ***
It is easy to forget about potential severe winter weather since Georgia typically has fairly mild winters, but don’t get left out in the cold! Take it from me, severe winter weather can strike here in the South, and being prepared is absolutely crucial. My wife and I found ourselves homebound without electricity for several days during a pounding snowstorm in 1993. Not only were we stuck, but Ronda was pregnant with our first child. Fortunately, we had everything we needed to survive — except labor and delivery items! Our porch became our refrigerator and freezer when we packed our perishable items in snow and ice and stored them out there. Luckily, Chandler waited until the storm passed to join us.
What does winter have in store for us this year? According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center, the outlook is uncertain. El Niño, which brings colder and wetter-than-average conditions, didn’t make its expected appearance, but NOAA predicts that it will arrive in some form … eventually. Don’t have confidence in the meteorologists? That time tested, oft-quoted source of meteorological data, The Farmer’s Almanac, says that the Southeast can look forward to a wet and chilly winter.
There’s no way to know exactly what Georgia will face this winter, so it’s best to get ready for whatever might come our way. Winter Weather Awareness Week, Dec. 3 to 7, provides the perfect opportunity to prepare. Winter hazards require specific preparation, so take a few minutes to:
-Make sure your Ready kit has extra blankets and enough food and water for at least 72 hours
-Stock your car with a Ready kit, including a blanket, jumper cables and an ice scraper.
-Boost your winter weather IQ by learning the terms used to describe hazards: freezing rain, sleet, winter weather advisory, etc.
To add a bit of fun to your winter readiness, Ready Georgia is giving you a chance to win a two-night stay at Lake Blackshear Resort. (A perfect winter weekend getaway!) To enter our contest, just comment on this post with the words “I’m READY for winter weather!” and tell us: What is the longest you’ve been stuck at home due to bad weather? Have you ever been stranded in your car? What is your “must have” item for making it through the winter? You’ll be entered in a random drawing for that Lake Blackshear getaway and a NOAA weather radio. Six other lucky folks will also take home a weather radio, courtesy of WSB-TV.
- PRIZES: Grand Prize: One NOAA weather radio and a one-night stay for two at Lake Blackshear Resort; Six runners up will each receive a NOAA Weather radio from WSB-TV
- TO ENTER: Comment on this post with the words, “I’m READY for winter weather!” and tell us. . .
- BONUS QUESTION(S): What is the longest you’ve been stuck at home due to bad weather? Have you ever been stranded in your car? What is your “must have” item for making it through the winter?
- GIVEAWAY CLOSES: Sunday, December 16 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern)
- NUMBER OF WINNERS: One grand prize winner; six additional radio winners
- PRIZE SHIPS: State of Georgia only
- RULES: Open to Georgia residents only. One entry per e-mail address is permitted. The winner will be selected using random.org and notified via email.