Is your business prepared for a disaster? As a corporate sponsor of the Ready Georgia campaign, we at The Home Depot take emergency preparedness seriously. That’s why we have a business continuity plan in place for whatever comes our way. Here in Georgia, we’re susceptible to a myriad of potential natural and manmade disasters, so it’s critical for businesses throughout the state to ensure that their daily operations are sustainable even in the event of a disaster.
Consider these statistics:
- In the past two years, 52 percent of businesses experienced an unforeseen business interruption that halted productivity
- 81 percent of business interruptions forced an office to close for one or more days
- 90 percent of small companies spend less than one day per month preparing and maintaining their continuity plans
With the safety of our associates and customers in mind, The Home Depot is prepared. Here’s how we do it:
- We have training and communication processes in place for our employees and support teams
- We provide our stores with clear direction on appropriate disaster procedures
- We supply our stores with product and operational supplies before and after a disaster
- We supply needed merchandise to customers (such as generators, water, plywood, batteries)
- We equip all of our facilities with emergency generators to provide power should local electrical service be interrupted
Over all, having an established plan aids in shortening the response time to associates and communities. We encourage all businesses owners and employees to examine and practice their contingency plans to ensure that their organizations are prepared. And while you’re at it, make sure you and your loved ones have a Ready kit and communications plan at home so that if it becomes necessary to face a disaster in the work place, you can rest assured that your family has what it needs to maintain self sufficiency for the first 72 hours following a disaster if necessary.
Check out this video from Ready Georgia to learn more about preparing your organization: